Thursday, July 11, 2013

What To Bring To College

Hey guys!

Today I thought I would discuss some of the essential things to bring to college since I know it is time to start shopping already. With one year of college under my belt, I think I have a pretty good idea of what is necessary and what is not. Although, every person and every college is different so tailor this to meet your needs. I feel like it is important to mention that I lived in a dorm where I did not have my own bathroom so that is just one more thing to consider when dorm room shopping.

Here is an actual list that I used when dorm room shopping, I found that I did end up using a majority of the things on the list. The cool thing about this link is that they also have an iPhone app.

Honestly, I went with that list and only bought things that I thought were necessary and I would truly use them. For example, I didn't buy glue, and I never needed it. 

Some things I would add to that list/things I ended up using at college but didn't think of when packing:

-Slippers (If you don't have your own bathroom and you have to walk down the hall to one, instead of slipping on flip flops or shower shoes, just put some comfy slippers on instead)
-Shower Caddy made out of a waterproof material. This is important because you don't want a shower caddy that takes a long time to dry if you get it wet. The shower caddy I bought was plastic and had a big compartment for shampoos then a smaller section that you could take out (a smaller shower caddy) and I used that for my tooth brush, tooth paste, and those sorts of things.
-Rain boots. In college, you typically have to walk everywhere. Do you really want wet feet?
-Rain jacket. This goes right along with the boots, I believe it is necessary. 
-Umbrella. It is important to have at least one, if not two umbrellas. I had one but loaned it to a friend and wished I had a second one when I had to walk out in the rain the next day. I kept my umbrella in my backpack where I could always find it. 
-Pepper Spray. I'm not trying to scare anyone but it's always better to be safe. This made me feel a lot safer if I had to walk alone at night. (But please try to use the buddy system!)

My last piece of advice is to decorate and make the room feel at home to you. Use pictures, posters, candles (if you're allowed), fake flowers, art, there are so many ways to decorate. 

Here is a link of different dorm room diy's that I found on pinterest: 

Last but not least, I might as well attach my room tour video so you guys can get an idea of what my room looked like at school. I actually won a dorm decorating contest. I mainly shopped at Target and Bed, Bath & Beyond for my dorm room last year. This year, I hope to decorate very differently than last year but still use some of the same key pieces.

I hope this helps and expect more college blogs and videos to come.

xo, 
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment